Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Responsibility

Another blog I follow led me to the website of Nate Phelps. Nate is the son of the infamous Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka.

Nate delivered a speech at the national atheists convention. What disturbs me greatly is the number and tone of the comments people have left after reading this speech.

A huge number of people have been hurt and turned away from God simply because religious people misinterpreted scripture or manipulated it to suit their own ends.

My heart yearns to comfort those who have been hurt by a poisonous religious spirit. I long to introduce them to the God I know, who graciously sent his own son to pay for my offenses. I pray that the Holy Spirit may lovingly woo them to the God they never knew despite their "religious" upbringing.

How many people do we know who have been similarly wounded? How can we reach them with the light of God's love?

No comments: